Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Xtra Math

Last night while I was perusing my list of 3rd Grade math and science blogs, I came upon a post from 3rd Grade Thoughts. She wrote about an online Math program that focuses on math facts! It's called Xtra Math and it's FREE! I set up a teacher account this evening and have played around in it a bit before setting up all of our kiddos. They each have their own PIN number (which I will send home either this week or next week) and are set up to start working on multiplication facts! If you would like to start working before I send everyone's paper home, send me an email and I will pass along your child's login info.



After logging in, a Placement Quiz opens for your child to be assessed and see what facts need to be practiced.


Throughout the placement quiz (and later during the practices), a timer at the bottom of the screen moves along to tell you if you are answering questions quickly, taking a little extra time, or letting time slip away.


If the answer is correct, a new fact pops up.


If the answer is incorrect or if too long is taken, the answer shows grayed out. A blue hour glass also comes onto the screen if too long has passed before the question is being answered.


To try and match the speed of our timed test, the smiley face on the timer is set to 3 seconds, which is very close to the average amount of time needed to spend on a problem to answer all questions on our timed tests.

If your child gets to school early enough in the mornings {by 7:30} on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday I can stop by the gym and grab them so they can work on Xtra Math on the computers in the room. 

Hopefully, this resource is one that you are able to use at home! 


No comments:

Post a Comment